Not So Smiley Not So Smiley

Excellent choice of music, lol. It brings me back to my younger days. I see the potential for some really great work from you in the future, and I am excited to see what you come up with next!

Without dialogue, you really have to pay attention to what's going on in order to understand the plot, but otherwise it was an enjoyable experience. Again, I look forward to your future work.

Psynical responds:

Thanks ^-^, im making improvement everytime, and the original plan was to have diolouge but not with my microphone. Im currently working on a project for picoday so make sure to watch that when im finished

guilty pleasure guilty pleasure

Very good point. Most people are too afraid to be themselves when around others, and our preference in music is often distorted by our desire to fit in.

By the way, Casting Crowns may not be my favorite Christian band, but I think you're cool for including them in the animation. Now, I'm off to listen to some sexy smooth jazz songs.

tylerghardin responds:

oh yeah, I'm no casting crowns fan. I went to a Christian school and their music got played ad infinitum. so basically I had to like them! I still like a couple of their songs, to be truthful.

and I'm very glad you liked it! thanks for the review!

ZEEFO.exe ZEEFO.exe

Excellent work on this, man. However, it should not be rated E due to the language.

Shipwreck Survivor Shipwreck Survivor

I thought I was about to play Escape from Monkey Island when the title screen popped up.. but then I realized I was really about to play a quiz game.

Lare responds:

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

Vorago Vorago

I really enjoyed this game and the message you're wanting to give through it. However, I felt as though the language was unnecessary.

It's an interesting perspective you have of the days after the rapture, and of those left behind. I'm not sure if this game truly glorifies God, but it is fun to play and experience. It's full of suspense, and it has very interesting characters developed throughout. I would recommend this game to anyone curious about Revelations or to anyone looking for a great point and click adventure game.

Dead Frontier: Outbreak Dead Frontier: Outbreak

I love this

I love text-based games like this because it allows your imagination to create the world for you in visualization. I feel like I'm reading an interactive audio book, and it's so easy to put yourself in the game world and into the character's shoes.

I would liked to have heard more diverse music and sound, but of course it is not necessary in order to enjoy this game.

Seres Seres

I'm not sure why people are hearing shrieking. It sounds fine to me?

Anyway, after I heard that intro I knew I was in for a treat. It's always a good thing to start your song off strong because people today have very short attention spans. If you hook them early, they'll stay for the ride.

I love your style -- a mix of both nostalgia and new techniques. It reminds me of good DOS games I played back in the day with solid soundtracks, but with a modern mix and updated devices. Like I said, I love it.

I also love music that tells a story rather than music that is just placeholder and generic; and this piece definitely tells a story. Much like your earlier track -- Peaks -- the transitions are intricate and balanced well enough to retain my interest, while expressing the feelings and emotions behind a scene. The arrangement and writing is truly skilled in that each instrument has received enough attention that its roles are necessary for the track. In other words, I can tell you worked long and hard on each section of the music.

The instruments have a very distinctive sound. Like ChronoNomad said, relaxing and chilled. If there were any problems with them, then I wasn't able to hear anything. Overall I can say that the instruments are very easy on the ears and I can handle that.

I can see why this song appeals to so many people. Well written, well produced, and released with humility. I hope that you can continue in your success, as I see you growing further as well all are. Truly blessed.

-Jon

1f1n1ty responds:

Hey Bosa, thanks for all the kind words!

DOS games huh I wasn't even alive to see those :P

Ah yes transitions. I guess I've finally gotten to that point where I can consistently command a good transition between very contrasting sections, which was admittedly a long journey to master. Next thing to try is to make consecutive sections sound more like each other so I can avoid doing musical gymnastics to my sound :P

My secret to instruments is pretty much "use presets" which is pretty great as well :P

The Afterlust The Afterlust

Wow, Finn! You have such a great piece here and it shows me that you are both experienced and determined to produce the best work you can -- something I admire considerably!

Your intro is good, and it hooks me from the start. It also does a great job of showing off the recording quality of the song, which I will touch on soon. This intro is done the right way in my opinion.

The main body of the song sounds like something I would hear broadcasted on mainstream radio, or even something played on a TV show. The recording quality is very professional and is more than broadcast-ready. I can assume you've already done this, but I would see about getting some work pitched to advertisers. If you ever need help with that, just let me know.

You have your own style and you stick with it, which is good. I can tell you must be doing well for yourself, so I feel like there isn't much more that needs to be said. Overall, this song is done right.

Kind Regards,
Jon

FinnMK responds:

You're very kind Jon.

I'm fortunate enough to be writing music full-time already, but I'd never be fool enough to turn down an opportunity. I'll PM you!

Cheers,
Finn

A Little Older, A Little Wiser A Little Older, A Little Wiser

You have a good track here, but let me elaborate a little more:

I know what you meant when you said you loved the vibe of this song -- something I think other listeners will be able to relate with as well. It gives me a calm, chill, and almost soothing vibe; and I can explain this a little better: the bass and the lows in general do overpower everything else and sounds like it's kept under the ceiling by a limiter. This is actually something I like about the lo-fi experience, and I don't know why; but it seems to ease tension in my head if that makes sense.

I think your choice of instruments were superb, in particular the constant guitar and the vocals in the background -- really good taste and was like salt and pepper to an already good meal.

Critical Analysis:

One thing that bugs me with all chillout tunes is the fact that they are so repetitive (however the same could be said for just about everything that is released today). I can understand instances where a composer lacks computer power or resources to do too much at once, but I felt as though this track was confined to a specific pattern that it couldn't deviate from.

The instruments are all good at what they do, but I felt like at least a new lead instrument could be introduced around 2:19 when the percussion and bass comes back in, or maybe do something even more crazy and keychange to lead up to the fadeout.

Final Thoughts:

I feel like this song has actual marketing potential. However I already know that if an advertiser would hear it, they would get somebody to EQ it, master it, and replace the bass; but as for me I like it just the way it is. Heck man, I think this would be great to listen to while you're studying or relaxing in the evening after a long day.

What I'm going to say here is off the record and did not impact my score:

You are one of the best Newgrounds musicians we have. It's not because of what you produce, but it's because of the support you give to the community as a whole. Most musicians are out for themselves, but our community thrives when we have users like you who are more than willing to encourage others. Music is one of the toughest businesses to get into, and I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my Newgrounds community to go to; so don't ever get too discouraged out here. Remember that there are people here who support you because you support us.

-Bosa

Bellona and Legatus Bellona and Legatus

Your work never ceases to amaze me. I don't know how you do it, but there's no doubt in my mind that you're a pro.

Giedrius responds:

Oh thank you. I'm not a pro just yet. There are so many things I still have to learn and improve.

The Guardian Legend fan-art The Guardian Legend fan-art

Love it! Your work never ceases to amaze me.

Giedrius responds:

Thank you very much!

Space Bunnies Space Bunnies

You never cease to amaze me, man. I hope that one day we may be part of some great project.

AlvinHew responds: